OUTDOOR MIXED-AGE CLASSES
Thanks for your interest in Music Together® in-person outdoor classes for ages 0-5! We're pleased to be able to offer these classes that allow for us to, well... make music together in small groups while taking precautions to protect our community. While you may have joined us for our indoor classes in the past, please do read on to learn how we have found a way forward to keep the good times rolling while including the additional layer of safety & thoughtfulness required during this time. By enrolling in our outdoor program, you are agreeing to abide by everything on this page!
How do I join?
Easy. Read all of the following and click on the class of your choice at the very bottom of this page. Hey, no skipping ahead!
Where will classes be held?
We have listed the neighborhoods where classes will take place, which are Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, & the Dogpatch, but these specific locations may change based on availability. You will receive information about the specific location when you enroll, and we will do our best to ensure the location remains the same throughout the semester. Each location will be reasonably accessible with decent parking (for San Francisco), but if you absolutely must know before taking the plunge, email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we should be able to give you more details.
What should I bring?
1. a blanket or something to sit on
2. a water bottle & sunscreen
3. hand sanitizer
4. your instrument tote (More information on totes below.)
5. a mask for the caregiver(s) and any child over 2.
*More information on totes:
Instrument play is integral to the flow of our music classes, and it's essential to our program that both the caregiver models playing the instruments and the child has the chance to participate. As you can imagine, if some of the children have, say, egg shakers while others do not, the children who do not have an instrument will be enticed to walk over to other blankets to explore and will likely try to pick up another child's instrument. Complete pandemonium!
Since classes will not be sharing instruments, we're including instrument totes at cost with every enrollment. Go to our rates page for a pricing breakdown of our classes, which includes the cost of totes. In each tote will be enough of each instrument for one caregiver/child pairing: 4 eggs, 2 pairs of sticks, 2 resonator bells with mallets, and 4 scarves. If you also enroll a sibling over 8 months, we will include an additional set of every instrument in your tote for them, so you'll always have enough! Also, if two adults from the same household plan on attending, please contact the office for permission first, and then upon approval, we can add instruments for the extra adult to your order. These totes, along with your Music Together book and CD will be waiting for you on your first day near a bright spot marker that will mark where you may sit. If you have all (or most) of these instruments already, contact the office, and we can waive the instrument fee and direct you to where you can purchase whatever you are missing yourself!
Outdoor Class Protocols:
In order to keep everyone as safe as possible, and in order to be in compliance with the requirements set forth by the guidelines of the San Francisco Department of Health, we must insist on your cooperation in following all of the procedures outlined below:
- We are following and exceeding the guidelines set out from the city of San Francisco, the state of California, and the latest information from medical professionals. If these change, then we may need to change our program as well.
- We reserve the right to modify or change our offerings and terms of service at any time without notice. For example, if the governor issues a strict executive order, we will need to move exclusively onto Zoom in order to follow state ordinances and for the safety of all involved. We shall not be liable to you or any 3rd party for modifications, price change, suspension, or discontinuation of service.
- All in-person classes are limited to 6 families and cannot exceed 16 participants whether they be babies in arms or adults.
- If you'd like to attend with more than one adult, you must receive permission from the office first to make sure there is enough room in the class to accommodate the extra participant(s).
- During class, children and adults will be required to maintain a minimum of 6 feet between themselves and other participants who are not in the same family or cohort. This could be challenging as children naturally tend to be social, and it was not the norm for our classes in the past! Still, we must ask that every family be responsible in maintaining the appropriate distance with their children. When you arrive, please wait in your marked family space as each person arrives to maintain the necessary distance.
- Your teacher will be wearing a mask at all times and will be teaching from a 12 ft distance in relationship to the participants.
- Adults shall wear a surgical-style face mask or other covering for their nose and mouth at all times. This means any mask that hooks over the ears or back of the head and covers the nose and mouth completely. We are not mandating N95 masks, as they should be reserved for frontline medical workers. Bandanas and neck gaiters aren't as effective as masks, so please refrain from using those options. Face shields are also not as effective as masks, so we ask if those are worn that they be accompanied by a mask. If you'd like more information, we use this John Hopkins mask recommendation page for our guidelines.
- Adults and children over age 2 (as required by the state of CA) must wear masks and maintain social distance upon arrival and on their way to and from their designated spot. Children can take off their masks once on their blanket and will not be required to wear masks during class, but if your child is prone to wandering out of your reach, we strongly suggest you keep their mask on at all times. Your teacher can & will work with you for solutions specific to your class setup.
- You must take 100% responsibility for keeping your child(ren) with you at all times, and your child(ren) must be kept from approaching other children, families, or the teacher.
- If your child wanders from your blanket, you must scoop them up immediately & bring them back to your designated space. Please limit dancing, moving, & toddling to within the boundaries of your own space.
- Spaces for families to sit during class will be indicated by a spot marker measured 10 feet apart. When you arrive, please place your blanket squarely on top of the marker. After class, please be sure that the marker is left where you found it.
- Parents/caregivers from the same household are allowed to alternate/change who brings the child(ren) to class, but you may not bring anyone outside of your household. Every adult who attends class MUST read and agree to follow all of these guidelines.
- Out of respect for the most vulnerable of our population, we must ask that no one over 65 joins our outdoor classes (They are always welcome on Zoom!).
- Each class will be its own consistent, insulated group – no makeups in other in-person outdoor classes will be approved, and we must have absolutely no mixing of groups! Under no circumstances may families drop into another class unannounced. All makeups will be held online.
- Sick children and adults MUST stay home and attend online. You MUST stay home if you or anyone you’ve been in close contact with has been exposed to COVID-19 even if there are no symptoms present.
- You MUST notify the office immediately if you or anyone you have been in contact with has contracted COVID-19.
- You may arrive 10 minutes early but please leave the immediate area as soon as class is over to make room for the next class. You may socialize in another location well away from the class area, but we will need your help clearing the area for the next group to safely settle in.
Outdoor Class Policies:
The following is not mandated by the city, the county, or the state, but these policies will allow us to hold safe, fun classes in a way that is fair and affordable to everyone in our community:
- In-person classes may be canceled or moved online at any time.
- If class is canceled due to inclement weather, fire smoke, teacher illness, COVID surges, or for any reason beyond our control, class will be made up over Zoom.
- If there is a cancellation, your teacher will need to contact you. As a result, you may not opt out of email/text/phone communications. Please make sure our email is whitelisted within your email client, so you receive our communications. If you're not sure what that means, this page will tell you how to do this for every email client, e.g., Gmail, Yahoo!, etc. In the event your teacher needs to notify you of a cancellation, it is your responsibility to ensure we have the correct emails and phone numbers and are receiving our communications.
- Your specific location instructions will be emailed to you directly with your enrollment confirmation.
- Guitars, ukuleles, xylophones, and other personal instruments that are not typically used in the Music Together environment should be left at home.
- Despite being outdoors, please refrain from eating during class.
- If you bring it in, please bring it out. This especially includes trash of any kind. Remember other families will be using the space after you!
- Please use the bathroom at home before you leave. While every location has a restroom nearby, some are more convenient than others, and we can’t guarantee it will be available or even open when you need it.
- These classes will be held outdoors on grass, so be sure to bring blankets, jackets, gloves, and whatever else you need to be comfortable outside. Additionally, you may want to consider bringing beach blankets, lawn chairs, umbrellas, hats or anything else that will help make your experience cozy and enjoyable.
- No refunds are issued after the start of a session for any reason at all. The no-refunds policy includes COVID surges, natural disasters, weather, and all unforeseen circumstances – all classes will be held online if not in-person.
- In the case of rain or poor air quality, your teacher will contact you at least an hour prior to class, and your class will be moved to the teacher's assigned Zoom room, the details of which will be included in your registration confirmation. At the end of the semester, we will tally up all of the outdoor classes that were canceled over the ten weeks, and we will provide you with a discount coupon for a future semester for the difference between the per week rate of our outdoor and online program ($8).
- We will hold classes as long as there is no precipitation. This means the fields could be very wet if it's been raining the week or day of your scheduled class, and we recommend wearing shoes that can handle a little mud and always bringing a tarp or a waterproof blanket like this one.
- By signing up for an outdoor class, you are entitled to all of the perks of our online program, including unlimited online classes scheduled via our makeup scheduler and access to all of our pre-recorded classes via our Family Zone.
- SHARE CARE FAMILIES: Please contact the office before enrolling. We do allow sharecare families in our outdoor program, but sharecare families are not eligible for the sibling discount. Enrolling as a sharecare without contacting our office means your slots are not confirmed and may be lost to another family once we discover the discrepancy, so please do be sure to reach out!
BY REGISTERING FOR THESE CLASSES YOU ARE AGREEING TO THESE SAFETY PROTOCOLS & OUR POLICIES. A SINGLE VIOLATION OF ANY OF THESE PROCEDURES COULD RESULT IN FORFEITURE OF YOUR SPOT IN THIS CLASS. PLEASE HELP US KEEP THE ENVIRONMENT CLEAN AND EACH OTHER SAFE!
Updated Waiver, Policies and Procedures for Outdoor Classes
COVID-19 ASSUMPTION OF THE RISKS AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY
As consideration for MTSF permitting me to take Music Together classes, I agree to the following:
ASSUMPTION OF THE RISKS: I understand that naturally occurring disease processes (including, but not limited to, the novel coronavirus or COVID-19), may exist in the community, including at MTSF, and present an inherent risk that cannot be eliminated. I acknowledge that, although MTSF is taking reasonable measures to avoid contact, transmittal, and exposure of disease processes like COVID-19 between people in our classes (including Music Together Teachers, and third-parties), it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure that I and my child take appropriate actions to safe-guard ourselves, including all adults wearing masks during class. All family members must stay within their personal blanket/area and ensure that personal instruments/props are not shared between families. I understand and agree that as a registered member of MTSF, I am accepting and voluntarily assuming the risk that I or my child may be exposed and become ill as a result of COVID-19 and other diseases.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY: I, on behalf of myself and my children hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and covenant not to sue Music Together of San Francisco or its owners, managers, contractors, members, employees, agents, and volunteers, for any claims that may arise out of or relate in any way to my or my child’s exposure to any communicable disease, including but not limited to the novel coronavirus or COVID-19. I assume the inherent risk of being outdoors with my children including but not limited to ticks, bees, poison ivy, etc. The claims hereby released include, but are not limited to, claims of negligence against any of the Released Parties.
I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS WAIVER AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. BY ENROLLING IN CLASSES AT MUSIC TOGETHER OF SAN FRANCISCO, I UNDERSTAND I HAVE GIVEN UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS AND THAT THIS IS A BINDING LEGAL DOCUMENT